An extract from David Marr's essay collection, 'My Country', published by Black Inc.
This content is only available to members of ArtsHub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to ArtsHub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the arts sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian arts community today
Image via Shutterstock.
I can remember waking in summer to the sound of rain and feeling not disappointment but relief. I wouldn’t be forced to the beach. I liked surfing well enough once I’d dragged myself down to the water. But hot days had their inflexible routine: up, breakfast and beach. A wet day meant freedom.