with Jane Godwin, Davina Bell + guest (TBC)
Saturday 14 October 2017
Allen & Unwin - Sydney
83 Alexander St
Crows Nest NSW 2065
(Please note access is via stairs)
Course fee: $295 (inc. GST)
Are you a new writer for children? This one-day course offers an understanding of what goes on inside a publishing house, how publishers make their choices, how to give yourself the best chance of publication and what to expect from the publishing process. It also provides an opportunity to discuss the author-publisher relationship with an experienced author and illustrator. Learn more about the industry, explore different ways to approach your writing and build a strong story, and become aware of common pitfalls.
The program will include feedback on your work and will address the much-asked questions:
• What are publishers looking for?
• Which publishers should I submit to?
• What should I submit?
• How can I polish my writing?
• What resources are available to me as a writer?
• Do I need an agent?
• What should I know about genres, age groups and the current market?
• What happens once my book is accepted?
• How can I make the most of the publishing relationship?
This workshop requires you to send in a sample of your writing and to think about how to pitch your book. See 'How to apply' for further details.
The course includes:
• A full day of intensive tuition from 10am to 4pm
• Lunch and regular tea and coffee breaks
Book soon to avoid disappointment.
'Thank you for providing such a valuable opportunity. The day felt inclusive no matter where each participant was on their publication/writing journey. A very inspirational day! ' Katrina, Sydney (2016)
'I can't really fault it! It is the most useful, informative and well-run course I have been to. I think the small group structure works really well.' Emma, Melbourne (2016)