Faber Writing Academy
About the Course
with Toni Jordan and Paddy O'Reilly + guests, including leading industry agents/publishers
Write your novel, and write it well.
This three-month course builds on the work started in Writing a Novel: Stage 1 and is suitable for writers who have completed that course, or who have a substantially completed rough or first draft of a novel-in-progress. This course will develop craft and technical skills required to turn a rough draft into a work of art. Using exercises focused on your own work, you'll finish the course with a deep understanding of the novelists' craft and how it applies to your own novel.
- Benefit from the structure of regular classes covering everything from playing with genre, the power of what is unspoken and using scenes and narrative summary to maintain momentum.
- Learn from our experienced Course Directors, as well as guest tutors including top authors, and agents/publishers.
- Receive personalised, one-to one attention on your project from your tutor.
- Get it done. When undertaken with Writing a Novel: Stage 1, this is a flexible alternative to a creative writing MA, designed for people who might be considering a career and who are prepared to engage fully in the hard work involved. Apart from the workshops, you will be devoting as much time as possible between classes to writing.
- Receive invaluable feedback by having the chance to present your work to your class of other committed novelists.
- Start your career with unrivalled access to those who know. There is no better way to get on the road to publication than to meet the people who know how to make that happen. Hear talks from people in the industry, then read to a room of agents at course completion.
Please note that while Writing a Novel: Stage 1 and Writing a Novel: Stage 2 are designed to build on each other, each may be taken as a stand-alone course. Talk to us if you need guidance on which one is best for you.
Praise for Writing a Novel
'Every week I learnt new tools which I could use straight away. It helped me at a macro and micro level. The teaching style made me want to write more and gave me confidence in my own writing. The course exceeded my expectations.' - Rob, Melbourne, 2016
'What the course has managed is to get me to stop worrying about writing a novel and to just start getting something - anything - down... Toni and Paddy have helped me to understand is that all this is fine and natural and a necessary stage to go through. They've given me the push I needed to get started and they've managed to make me believe that I will get this novel written.' - Michelle Wright, Melbourne, 2015. Read more from Michelle on our blog
'Excellent. 10 out of 10... It was a privilege and a pleasure.' - Stephen, 2014
'Getting constant feedback from industry experts was extremely helpful... I learned a lot that I can apply to my own work both now and in the future... More than returned the money I paid for this course.' - James, Melbourne, 2013
'It helped me focus on my writing more effectively and to consider the technical aspects of what I was doing.' - Steph, Melbourne, 2012