The Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards recognise and reward the hard work of our most outstanding young Australian journalists. In 2017 these the awards will recognise those aged 28 and under who demonstrate excellence in the fundamental tenets of the craft as well as the ability to present distinctive and original journalism that pushes the boundaries of the profession.
To make the awards even more accessible and valuable to a diverse range of young reporters, a philanthropic grant from the Jibb Foundation will subsidise a drop in entry fee from $150 per entry to $50. (Entry remains free for MEAA union members.) The Jibb Foundation’s funding will also support a bumped-up prize for the overall Young Australian Journalist of the Year award winner, now to be a two-week trip to US newsrooms, and a mentorship program to further boost promising young careers.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER
Terms & Conditions
Frequently Asked Questions
The categories in 2017 are:
- All media: Shortform journalism
- All media: Longform feature or special (supported by Fairfax Media)
- All media: Coverage of community & regional affairs (supported by UNSW)
- All media: Visual storytelling (supported by Sky NEWS)
- All media: Public service journalism (supported by News Corp Australia)
- Student journalist of the year (supported by Macleay College)
- The Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year ** ( supported by the Jibb Foundation)
- Read full category descriptions here.
** Please note that this year we have opened up the overall Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Award to self and peer nominations. Winners of other categories will also be automatically go in the running for this award. Please read the full terms & conditions before entering.
Entry is open to young journalists employed full-time or freelance who have self-published or had work published or broadcast through Australian media outlets, including on-line publishers, between April 27, 2016 and April 26, 2017.
Entry is free for MEAA members.
Questions? Please contact either
Look back on the past winners of the Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards
July 27, 2016: Winners announced for Walkley Young Journalist of the Year Awards.